• Hours & Info

    (562) 495-0554
    M-F: 8:00am - 6:00 p.m.
    Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
  • Social

  • Past Blog Posts

Iranian nationals are no longer eligible for E-1 and E-2 visas

USCIS announced on January 22 that Iranian nationals are no longer eligible for E-1 and E-2 trade and investor visas. This is because the Trump administration terminated the 1955 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights with Iran in 2018. Current Iranian holders of these visas may stay until their visas expire, but may not extend or reapply for the visas. USCIS will also send out notices of Intent to Deny to all Iranian nationals who applied for E-1 and E-2 visas after October 3, 2018.

Another win for the Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner POST WEDNESDAY

After having his E-2 visa application denied by the Consulate in Canada, our client retained us to file a new application and a few months later, his application was approved, allowing him to enter the U.S. as the owner of two day-care centers in Florida.

Another Win for the Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner

E-2 granted for Client, her husband and children, based on investment in the United States in an entertainment concert staging and equipment services company.

USCIS Announces that Certain New Zealand Nationals Are Now Eligible for E-1 and E-2 Nonimmigrant Classifications

USCIS announced that starting yesterday, June 10, 2019, certain New Zealand nationals can request a change of status to the E‑1 nonimmigrant trader classification and the E‑2 nonimmigrant investor classification under Public Law 115-226.

Want an E-2? Here are some issues? Want an E-2 Visa? Look at these issues.

Question: I want to open up my own company. Can you you let me know some specifics. For example, I have a friend from Iran. Can he get an E1 or E2? As for E-2’s, Iranians can apply for E-2’s anywhere.

Question: Are there any restrictions where the money comes from for the investment?

Answer: Normally, not. However, keep in mind that there are two\ Russian Banks under US Sanctions. Thus, \make sure money does not come from these banks.

Question: What percentage of ownership do I need to have in the company?

Answer: Make sure there is at least a 50% ownership by treaty countries. It is even better if there is a 51% ownership.

Question: What if I renounce my nationality?

Answer: If the principal owner renounces nationality, then the E-2 is gone.

Question: What is there is a merger or acquisition?

Answer: Sometimes merges and acquisitions changes the 50% ownership. If this is the case, then there will no longer be E-2 qualification.

Question: What about employees I need from my home country?

Answer: For employees coming over, you need to still  make sure that the main investor gets an E2.  The E-2 specialized knowledge employee will differ with the particular Consulate. Some require 2 years actual experience. The consular officer might say that he or she will give just 2 years and that an American is needed afterwards.

Question: What about my spouse and children in my home country?

Answer: An E-2 change of status for you which is approved, will NOT allow E-2 derivatives to get a  visa at the consulate. Rather, you need to consulate process with your E-2.

Question: How long will I get?

Answer: E-2’s always are now given for 2 years in US., even if the  visa is issued for 5 years. However, you can go out 1 week before expiration of visa, and come back with 2 year stamp.

Question: Will the amount of the investment differ?

Treaty Trader and Investor Visa (E Visa) Processing Changes in Canada

The Consulate General of the U.S. in Toronto outlined changes to the E-1 and E-2 visa process. Toronto will continue to handle all E-1 and E-2 company registrations, as well as E visa interviews for employees of enterprises not previously registered and where the company registration has expired. Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal will offer visa appointments for employees of companies with valid registrations and their dependents.

I can invest only $50,000 and get a work visa – not $1,000,000?

I can invest and get a work visa without having $1,000,000?

Question: I have about $75,000 to $120,000 and want to invest in a business in the U.S, but have heard that I need $1,000,000 to invest. Is there anything I can do?

Answer: Actually, you need only $50,000 to $100,000 depending on the business. You can buy a franchise, a business already in operation, start your own business or open a branch office of a business in the your home country.

Question: How do you begin preparation of the E-2 Visa?

Answer: 1. Make sure you are from a Treaty-Investor Country

The U.S. has treaties with many different countries around the world. However, if there is no treaty with the counry that you were born in, then it will not qualify you for an E-2 Visa.

2. Make sure you have enough money to invest

There is no set number. However, the general guideline is that you want to have around $100,000 to invest in your own company in the U.S.

3. Make sure you will manage the company

You need to make certain that you will manage the company in a supervisory or managerial capacity and not as a line type worker.

4. Make sure you are in status

If you are inside the U.S. and will be doing a change of status, you will want to make sure that you are in legal status and have not violated your status in anyway. Otherwise, you might not be able to change your status to E-2.

5. Keep all of your receipts and contracts

Once you would get the E-2, you need to make sure that you keep all of the receipts and contracts so that when it becomes time to renew the E-2, you are able to provide the necessary proof.

Question: How long is the stay allowed for in an E-2 status?

Answer: Qualified treaty investors and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each. There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-2 nonimmigrant may be granted. All E-2 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated.

An E-2 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States. It is generally not necessary to file a new Form I-129 with USCIS in this situation.

Question: How do you apply for the E2 ?

Answer: Application for E status filed on Form I-129 if seeking C/S in U.S. If filing application at consular post, most posts use the DS-156E supplemental form in addition to the DS-160 visa application. Applicant must provide supporting evidence of the investment. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Question: Can I apply for a Franchise?

Answer: Yes, there are a number of Franchises that are within this monetary range and would would perfectly for an E-2. There are fast food franchises, cleaning, dollar-store, and many other types of opportunities.

%d bloggers like this: