Skip to content

I can invest and get a work visa without having $1,000,000?

Question: I have about $75,000 to $120,000 and want to invest in a business in the U.S, but have heard that I need $1,000,000 to invest. Is there anything I can do?

Answer: Actually, you need only $50,000 to $100,000 depending on the business. You can buy a franchise, a business already in operation, start your own business or open a branch office of a business in the your home country.

Question: How do you begin preparation of the E-2 Visa?

Answer: 1. Make sure you are from a Treaty-Investor Country

The U.S. has treaties with many different countries around the world. However, if there is no treaty with the counry that you were born in, then it will not qualify you for an E-2 Visa.

2. Make sure you have enough money to invest

There is no set number. However, the general guideline is that you want to have around $100,000 to invest in your own company in the U.S.

3. Make sure you will manage the company

You need to make certain that you will manage the company in a supervisory or managerial capacity and not as a line type worker.

4. Make sure you are in status

If you are inside the U.S. and will be doing a change of status, you will want to make sure that you are in legal status and have not violated your status in anyway. Otherwise, you might not be able to change your status to E-2.

5. Keep all of your receipts and contracts

Once you would get the E-2, you need to make sure that you keep all of the receipts and contracts so that when it becomes time to renew the E-2, you are able to provide the necessary proof.

Question: How long is the stay allowed for in an E-2 status?

Answer: Qualified treaty investors and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years. Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each. There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-2 nonimmigrant may be granted. All E-2 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated.

An E-2 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States. It is generally not necessary to file a new Form I-129 with USCIS in this situation.

Question: How do you apply for the E2 ?

Answer: Application for E status filed on Form I-129 if seeking C/S in U.S. If filing application at consular post, most posts use the DS-156E supplemental form in addition to the DS-160 visa application. Applicant must provide supporting evidence of the investment. The burden of proof is on the applicant.

Question: Can I apply for a Franchise?

Answer: Yes, there are a number of Franchises that are within this monetary range and would would perfectly for an E-2. There are fast food franchises, cleaning, dollar-store, and many other types of opportunities.

Home » Immigration Updates » I can invest only $50,000 and get a work visa – not $1,000,000?

I can invest only $50,000 and get a work visa – not $1,000,000?