• Hours & Info

    (562) 495-0554
    M-F: 8:00am - 6:00 p.m.
    Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
  • Social

  • Past Blog Posts

A federal judge permanently blocked a Trump policy change in how DHS calculates an immigrant’s “unlawful presence.”

Several college presidents sued the Trump administration over a policy change that amended how a foreign national’s “unlawful presence” in the U.S. is calculated to include more time, making it more difficult for many to stay in the U.S. They argued that the change would harm students, scholars, and others who sometimes temporarily lost legal status while switching schools and jobs. On February 6, Judge Biggs ruled that the change “impermissibly conflicted” with immigration law, and issued a permanent injunction against the policy.

The number of foreign students in the U.S. has decreased for the 3rd year in a row.

 A report from the Institute of International Education showed that foreign student enrollment in U.S. universities dropped by 1% compared to 2018, and the two years prior had drops of 7% and 3%. The drop in the number of students from China has been particularly sharp. Some schools pointed out the president’s rhetoric as one reason for the downturn. The Trump administration instead theorized that the drop was due to high tuition costs and not immigration policies.

Lawsuit Challenges Legality of USCIS Unlawful Presence Policy for Fs, Js, and Ms

A district court judge for the Middle District of North Carolina issued a nationwide preliminary injunction, effective immediately, enjoining USCIS’s memo titled “Accrual of Unlawful Presence and F, J, and M Nonimmigrants,” originally issued on May 10, 2018, and updated on August 9, 2018, that went into effect on August 9, 2018, until further order of the court. The memo penalized international students for overstaying or violating the terms of their visas, even accidently.

Trump’s Crackdown on Students Who Overstay Visas Rattles Higher Education

The New York Times reports that effective August 9, 2018, the Trump administration plans to crack down on international students and visitors who overstay their visas, stoking fears in the higher education community that President Trump’s aggressive immigration policies will hinder university efforts to attract the brightest minds from overseas.

Interesting possible T Visa Case

The U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado denied motions to dismiss Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) and unjust enrichment claims in a federal class action lawsuit filed by nine federal immigrant detainees against The GEO Group, Inc., a private prison contractor, alleging violations for unpaid wages and forced labor. This is the first time that a court has found that a for-profit immigrant detention contractor may be held liable for violating the TVPA.

The F-1 Student Visa and what to do

Coffee talk with Immigration Attorney Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation on Immigration and Naturalization Law and specifics on how you can find solutions to immigration problems, visas, work-permits, deportation and other areas of immigration law. Find out about the F-1 Student Visa and the particulars.. Immigration Lawyer Brian D. Lerner explains this area of immigration law so that it is clear and in normal and plain English. The Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner is happy to give you a free 10 minute consultation at http://www.blerner.checkappointments.com/. Additionally, call us at 562-495-0554 or send a Skype to ‘briandlerner’.

Currently on Student Visa but want to extend to do a Bachelor’s Degree

i was refused a protection visa but im currently on a student visa 572.is it possible to extend to do a bachelors course.. – Avvo.com http://ping.fm/6WvQr

%d bloggers like this: