• Hours & Info

    (562) 495-0554
    M-F: 8:00am - 6:00 p.m.
    Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
  • Social

  • Past Blog Posts

55 U.S. Military members were naturalized in South Korea

USCIS announcement that 55 noncitizen members of the U.S. military and 17 military spouses were naturalized in South Korea. USCIS has naturalized 196 military members in South Korea, the most since the inception of the overseas naturalization program in 2004.

U.S. Military Naturalization Just Got Faster

Question: I have been serving in the military for some time. I know that I have to serve 3 years to apply for Naturalization. Is there a way I can apply faster?

Answer: Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano today announced the publication of a rule formalizing DHS’ longstanding policy to expedite and streamline the citizenship process for men and women bravely serving in America’s armed forces.  She stated: “The foundation of our national security is the patriotic service and extraordinary sacrifices made by the men and women of
our armed forces,” said Secretary Napolitano. “Expediting the citizenship process for service members reflects our commitment to honoring those who come from all over the world to serve our country and become its newest citizens.”

Question: What then is the new rule for U.S. Military Naturalization?

Answer: The rule amends DHS regulations to conform to the National Defense Authorization Act of 2004, reducing the time requirements for naturalization through military service from three years to one year for applicants who served during peacetime, and extending benefits to members of the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve of the U.S. Armed Forces. Service members who have served honorably in an active-duty status or in the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve for any time since Sept. 11, 2001, can file immediately for citizenship.  The rule also eliminates the requirement for members of the military to file biographic information forms (Form G-325B) with their naturalization applications – removing administrative redundancy and increasing efficiency for those who risk their lives
for the nation’s security.

Question: What about the spouses of military personal?

Answer: Spouses of U.S. citizen service members who are (or will be) deployed may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the United States under Section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In general, an applicant for naturalization under section 319(b) of the INA must: Be age 18 or older; Establish that his or her U.S. citizen spouse is deployed abroad as a service member; Be present in the U.S. pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence (green card holder) at the time of examination on the naturalization application; Be present in the U.S. at the time of naturalization; Declare in good faith upon naturalization an intent to reside abroad with the U.S. citizen spouse and to reside in the U.S. immediately upon the citizen spouse’s termination of service abroad; Be able to read, write, and speak basic English;Have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics); and have been, and continue to be, a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the U.S. during all relevant periods under the law.

Thus, both the military personal and their families can have expedited applications.

%d bloggers like this: