H-1B’s are almost ready to be filed. Don’t wait.

Question: I heard that H-1B’s are about to be able to be filed. What can I do?

Answer: First, April 1, 2013, the doors open again and new H-1B’s can be filed. It does take time to prepare a quality H-1B, so time is of the essence and you should either get started right away and start getting a sponsor right away.

Question: What exactly do I need for the H-1B?

Answer: The job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify as a specialty occupation:
Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position;
The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree;
The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; and the nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.

Question: What do I need to accept a job offer for an H-1B:

Answer: For you to qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation you must meet one of the following criteria: Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university; Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation; Hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment; have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.

Question: Is a Labor Condition Application required?

Answer: Yes. The prospective employer must file an approved Form ETA-9035, Labor Condition Application (LCA), with the Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.  

Question: Must I establish an employer-employee relationship?

Answer: The H-1B regulations currently require that a United States employer establish that it has an employer-employee relationship with respect to the beneficiary, as indicated by the fact that it may hire, pay, fire, supervise or otherwise control the work of any such employee. In addition to demonstrating that a valid employer-employee relationship will exist between the petitioner and the beneficiary, the petitioner must continue to comply with all of the requirements for an H-1B petition including: establishing that the beneficiary is coming to the United States temporarily to work in a specialty occupation; demonstrating that the beneficiary is qualified to perform services in the specialty occupation; and  filing of a Labor Condition Application (LCA) specific to each location where the beneficiary will perform services.

Home » Immigration Articles » H-1B’s are Almost Here. Don’t Wait!

H-1B’s are Almost Here. Don’t Wait!