If you have been a refugee or held asylum status for at least one year, you may be eligible to change your status to that of a permanent resident.

There is a large package that must be prepared and sent to BCIS . A copy of the letter granting you derivative asylee status either on the basis of having been included on the principal’s original asylum application or on the basis of having been the beneficiary of a petition filed by the principal.

Evidence of one year’s physical presence in the United States. Please keep physical presence evidence to an absolute minimum. Evidence might include a letter of employment, a lease, school enrollment records, or similar documentation, which would cover broad periods of time.

If you wish to travel outside of the U.S. (and return) while your application is being processed, you may use Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, to apply for a refugee travel document. More information may be found at Emergency Travel, and How Do I Get a Travel Document.

Each of the above named applications must be complete in its own right. All required documentation must be submitted with each concurrent application.

If you apply for work authorization and do not receive the document within 90 days of filing the application, you may obtain an interim work authorization document. After 90 days have passed, simply present the receipt that shows you have filed Form I-765 at your local office.





Home » Immigration Updates » Refugee Adjustment

Refugee Adjustment