• Hours & Info

    (562) 495-0554
    M-F: 8:00am - 6:00 p.m.
    Sat: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
  • Social

  • Past Blog Posts

How can I get a Humanitarian Parole to get into the United States

Question: I must get into the U.S. and have been denied at every corner. Is there anything I can do?

Answer: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides a number of humanitarian programs
and types of protection for individuals in need of shelter and/or aid from disasters, oppression,
emergency medical issues and other urgent conditions. Humanitarian parole is one such

Humanitarian parole enables an otherwise inadmissible individual to enter the U.S. temporarily
due to a compelling emergency. USCIS may grant humanitarian parole based on urgent,
compelling reasons, or to promote a significant public benefit. This parole does not confer any
permanent immigration status, but does enable a recipient to apply for and receive employment

Humanitarian parole is typically granted for the duration of the emergency or compelling situation
at issue. Anyone granted humanitarian parole must depart the U.S. prior to its expiration date or
risk negative immigration consequences. It is possible, however, to request while in the U.S., a re-
parole of a previously accorded humanitarian parole period.

Anyone can file an application for humanitarian parole, including the prospective parolee, a
sponsoring relative, an immigration attorney, or any other interested individual or organization. Requests for
humanitarian parole may only be accepted for individuals who are outside the U.S.; unless such
request pertains to a re-parole of a prior humanitarian parole granted at USCIS headquarters in
Washington, D.C.

Question:  Where can I find the law about humanitarian parole?

Answer: The legal foundation for humanitarian parole comes from the Immigration and Nationality Act
(INA). Section 212(d)(5)(A) of the INA states USCIS has discretion to parole an individual into the
U.S. temporarily under certain conditions for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public
benefit on a case-by-case basis.

Question:  Where do I file a request for humanitarian parole?

Answer:  You file a request for humanitarian parole using Form I-131, Application for Travel Document,
with the Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, to:
Department of Homeland Security, USCIS
Attn: Chief, Humanitarian Affairs Branch
20 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529-2100

Question: How long does it take to adjudicate an application?

Answer:  Humanitarian parole applications are generally adjudicated within 90-120 business days from
the time USCIS receives the application.

Question:  How can I find out the status of my application?

Answer:  To check the status of your application, contact the Chief of the Humanitarian Affairs Branch at
the above address. Please provide specific information about your application, such as the case
number of the humanitarian parole application, the name, and date of birth of the petitioner, the
date of application, and a brief explanation of the reasons for seeking parole.

Question:  Can USCIS adjudicate humanitarian parole applications for individuals currently in the
United States?

Answer:  Requests for humanitarian parole can only be accepted for individuals who are currently
outside the U.S. However, where USCIS Headquarters has already granted parole for
humanitarian reasons, an individual in the U.S. may file a request to for re-parole.

Question:  How will I be notified if my request is approved?
Answer:  If you are the applicant, you will receive a written notice when your application has been

Question:  For what period of time will I be granted humanitarian parole?
Answer:  Humanitarian parole is typically granted for the duration of the emergency or compelling
situation at issue. It is seldom granted for longer than one year.

Question: Who can file an application for humanitarian parole?

Answer:  Anyone can file an application for humanitarian parole, including the prospective parolee, a
sponsoring relative, an attorney, or any other interested individual or organization.

Question:  What can I do if my case is not approved?

Answer:  The denial of a request for humanitarian parole is a discretionary determination based upon a
complete review of all of the circumstances described in the documents submitted in each case.
The law does not provide for appeal of a denial. However, if there are significant new facts that are
relevant to your application for humanitarian parole, you may submit a new Form I-131 to the
address above with a new fee and supporting documentation.

Of course you need to be sure all medical documentation and any other supporting documentation for the Humanitarian Parole is submitted.

8 Responses

  1. What happened to him? Was he eligble for Parole or bond?


  2. Mr Brain D

    His wife lost pregnancy few months ago due to miscarriage without him. She was hospitilized. His elder son has sever allergy reaction where was rushed to Hospital. His son was saved by neighbor when he couldn’t breath after he ate food stuff. He also has a daughter who developed severe allergy reaction.

    His wife and one of his daughters has chronic asma and they are on medication. Total kids are 6 and his wife work to cover the cost of living in difficult.

    Does that help him


  3. Hello:

    It all depends on the reasons. Are there any medical issues or emergency issues with family members?


    Brian D. Lerner
    Attorney at Law


  4. How can deported convicted aggravated felon (non volience crimes) get a Humantarian Parole?

    I mean does he is eligible to get such humantarian parole from outside?

    He was told he was excluded from US for life but his deporation letter didn’t tell any time he should be away from US.

    His wife and kids are all US citizens.

    Any help for him



  5. Do I really need an attorney to assist with humanitarian parole or B1 B2 visit ? There is a confirmed diagnosis of Cystic Fibrosis (resp/infections/genetic/death) of a young lady on http://www.cfww.org, Help Karina under community links.

    I will try regular passports for Ukraine, but if not, Humanitarian Parole. Can I file for them? Is there anyone who will do this pro bono? I am a nurse, I have the same disease, only I’m 52. I no longer work. Most people die in infancy or later, with proper treatment. There is no care in Kyiv , Ukraine for this disease. I will sponsor the mother and daughter and have an MD at The Denver Children’s Hosp who will waive his fee. I have other funds for her medical care. She will apply for passport when the daughter is 16 on May 7, 2010.

    Thank you,
    Janet Adelfio


  6. Great write up.. keep on writing these great blog posts! I will be subscribing 🙂


  7. Enjoyed the posts..


  8. […] Read the original:  How can I get a Humanitarian Parole to get into the United States … […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: