Skip to content

Question: What is a Travel Document and Who Needs One?

Answer: If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may need permission to return to the United States after traveling abroad. This permission is granted through a travel document. Travel documents are also given to people who want to travel, but cannot get a passport from their country of nationality.

Question: How do I file for a travel document?

Answer: You must file USCIS Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document, complete with supporting documentation, photos and applicable fees. If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident, you must attach a copy of the alien registration receipt card; or if you have not yet received your alien registration receipt card, a copy of the biographic page of your passport and the page of your passport indicating initial admission as a permanent resident, or other evidence that you are a permanent resident; or a copy of the approval notice of a separate application for replacement of the alien registration receipt card or temporary evidence of permanent resident status.

Question: How can I file for Advance Parole?

Answer: If you are in the United States, you must show a copy of any document issued to you by the Service showing your present status in the United States; An explanation or other evidence demonstrating the circumstances that warrant issuance of Advance Parole.

If you are basing your eligibility for Advance Parole on a separate application for adjustment of status or asylum, you must also attach a copy of the filing receipt for that application.

If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, you must also attach a copy of the consular appointment.

Question: Where should I file?

Answer: Where to file the Form I-131 depends upon the benefit sought. Thus, there is not only one single place to file.

Question: When should I File?

Answer: You must apply for the travel document before leaving the United States. Failure to do so may cause you to lose permission to re-enter the country, and lead to the denial of any other applications.

Home » Immigration Updates » What do I need to leave the U.S.?

What do I need to leave the U.S.?