Skip to content

 Question: I just married my U.S. Citizen husband in my home country. I thought I could just go to the United States and live with him. However, I found out it is actually is going to take over one year to get back together with my husband. I am heartbroken. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process?

Answer: Yes. There is what is known as a K-Nonimmigrant as the Spouse or Child of a U.S. Citizen? The Legal Immigration Family Equity Act and its amendments (LIFE Act) established a new nonimmigrant category within the immigration law that allows the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen to be admitted to the United States in a nonimmigrant category. The admission allows the spouse or child to complete processing for permanent residence while in the United States. It also allows those admitted in the new category to have permission for employment while they await processing of their case to permanent resident status.

Question: Who is Eligible?

A person may receive a K-3 visa if that person: has concluded a valid marriage with a citizen of the United States; has a relative petition (Form I-130) filed by the U.S. citizen spouse for the person; seeks to enter the United States to await the approval of the petition and subsequent lawful permanent resident status, and, has an approved Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé, forwarded to the American consulate abroad where the alien wishes to apply for the K-3/K-4 visa. The consulate must be in the country in which the marriage to the U.S. citizen took place if the United States has a consulate which issues immigrant visas in that country. If the marriage took place in the United States, the designated consulate is the one with jurisdiction over the current residence of the alien spouse.

Question: Will I Get a Work Permit?

Answer: Persons in K-3 or K-4 status and applicants for adjustment to permanent resident status from K-3 or K-4 are eligible to apply for a work permit while their cases are pending.

Question: Can I Travel Outside the United States?

Answer: If you are in K-3 or K-4 status, you may travel using your unexpired K-3/K-4 nonimmigrant visa to travel outside of the United States and return, even if you are applying for adjustment of status simultaneously.

Home » Immigration Updates » Why do I have to wait so long to be with my U.S. Spouse?

Why do I have to wait so long to be with my U.S. Spouse?