Skip to content

Question: I came here on an F1 Visa and later applied for a change of status to H-1B. However, I have been told that if I go back to the Philippines, that I must have an interview at the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines which could be denied (even though I was approved for the change of status.) Is there any way to get a visa in Mexico without having to go through the interview process in the Philippines?

Answer: There are several qualifications to be able to go to Mexico. Applicants seeking to renew their C1/D, D, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P and R visas, if the initial visa was issued in the applicant’s home country or at one of the border posts in the past few years.

Applicants for visas that reflect a change of status (e.g., F1 to H1B or F1 to J), provided the applicant originally entered the US in other than B status and possesses an original change of status notice (I-797) from the Department of Homeland Security.

Applicants possessing B visas issued in their home country with annotations showing intent to change visa status, such as “Prospective Student.”

Question: Who Cannot Apply in Mexico?

Answer: Applicants who entered the U.S. with a B visa issued in their home country that changed status to another visa category, e.g., F, J, H1B, but the visa did not have an annotation indicating intent to change status.

Applicants who have been out of status in the U.S. having violated the terms of their visas or having overstayed the validity indicated on their I-94s.

A, B, E, G and Q visa applications, including renewals are not accepted from Third Country Nationals (TCN) that are not resident in the appropriate consular district.

Citizens of Iran, Sudan, Libya, Iraq, North Korea, Cuba and Syria.

Question: How can I go about making an interview appointment.

Answer: You can actually make it online at the website available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at In order to use the service the applicant must purchase a PIN for US$10.00 payable by Visa or Mastercard. Please note that the PIN will expire 10 days after the appointment date. If an appointment is not scheduled, the PIN will expire 90 days after purchase. The PIN provides for 3 scheduling opportunities so that an applicant can schedule an appointment and reschedule it up to 2 additional times if necessary. Appointments cannot be changed or cancelled within 5 business days of the appointment date.

For further information the US Embassy Mexico Customer Service Center is available Monday through Friday from 7am to 9pm Central and Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 3pm Central. There are several payment options for accessing the Customer Service Center, including a new option to pay by Visa or MasterCard via a toll-free number from the United States which is 1-900-476-1212 with a cost of US$1.25 per minute.


Home » Immigration Updates » Can I get a new visa in Mexico?

Can I get a new visa in Mexico?